Late Production Tiger 1 Project

For you guys who don´t understand Swedish or just prefer English.
TBowman
Medlem
Medlem

Re: Late Production Tiger 1 Project

Post by TBowman »

Hi Chris, Thanks. This summer I hope to spend a full day and take some proper outdoor photos and videos of the models.

Did the next step, the dreaded tactical numbers. White border, and crosses as well as divisional marking will be next. Then some camo touch up and the last of the weathering.

tim

Björn Johansson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Björn Johansson »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Höres Mvh Björn

TBowman
Medlem
Medlem

Post by TBowman »

Thanks for the support Bjorn

The hard part is over, now its time for the fun, final weathering over the whole tank. The white outlines on the numbers were a nightmare with that heavy zimmerit on the turret. From the few war-time photos I have of this Tiger, they were rough painted by hand anyway. Kent can correct me if I'm wrong.

best regards
Tim

Björn Johansson
Veteran
Veteran

Hi Tim
I think you did a great job with those white lines
and as you said,very often they where not so
properly painted in the field.

Another one for the 1/6 Museum 8)
Höres Mvh Björn

TBowman
Medlem
Medlem

Post by TBowman »

Thanks Bjorn

Continued the minor chips and also attempted the first layer of exhaust soot. More to go but taking it slow. As these Tigers were newly supplied just prior to Normandy, I'll keep the "worn paint" look to a minimum on the heat shields exterior. On many of the war-time photos, camouflage can still be seen on the entire shield.

Tim

Björn Johansson
Veteran
Veteran

Hi Tim
I like you´r thoughts about the worn paint on those
Tigers.

And you´r weathering/worn paint looks good.

Hope to have some zimmerit/ paint job done on my IV
this summer.
Höres Mvh Björn

TBowman
Medlem
Medlem

Post by TBowman »

Hi everyone All that remains are the front and rear unit markings. Otherwise, I am calling this one DONE!

Some walk around photos in sunlight this time.

a bunch more photos and detail photos here:
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa18 ... =slideshow

Tim

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Great job, Tim!
It's looking absolutely fantastic. And to top it off, think of all the interior details that aren't even visible!
Thanks for all the photos, they provide a great reference and true inspiration!

Cheers,
/Chris

Björn Johansson
Veteran
Veteran

Another nice one Tim you could be proud off you´r self!

As said its a great inspiration to see you´r great work :clap:
Höres Mvh Björn

TBowman
Medlem
Medlem

Post by TBowman »

Thanks guys

One last thing on the Tiger I....

Ever since I started this Tiger project, I have been on a quest for runnable, mid/late style track links to complete the Normandy, Tiger look. With the recent photos of Metalbox's mid Tiger 1, I was excited to see the track links were what I have been searching for. Metlbox was kind enough to send me some first, prototype samples so that I could check the fit on my Armortek Tiger 1.

First, quick observations were that the Metalbox links are much heavier then the Armortek links. MB are 4.6 oz (132grams/link) AT are 1.6 oz (48 grams/link) Armortek's are cast aluminum(I believe) with a very nice, grey finish. They do wear quite quickly. I have no experience yet with the wear on the Stug or these Tiger links from Metalbox.

The Metalbox links are the same width but the spacing of the sprocket teeth holes are just slightly wider. I believe they could be used by simply placing some spacers behind the sprocket ring in order to increase its overall width. Only a few millimeters are needed.

The spacing from track to link to link appears to be perfect and the four links I have line up nicely with the sprocket teeth. Only the width is different as mentioned above.

The following photos are simply for reference and comparison of the two styles from both companies as well as a few of the ones I did. I have had a lot of people contact me regarding the late style links I made for my Tiger but they are for spare links only and not runnable. So I thought these photos and the possibility of these links working on the Armortek model may be of interest to others.

Armortek's are the darker ones and Metalbox's are the bare-metal ones

The three links

Some detail photos of Metalbox links

Hope this is informative for everyone who has contacted me regarding the late-style links.

Happy tanking
Tim

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

They are all three fantastic models, each with their own special properties. Thanks for a great consumer's review! :clap:

/Chris

Kent W
Medlem
Medlem

Post by Kent W »

Hi Tim,

Great briefing, thanks!

That Metalbox links look very nice and are the most accurate 1:6th metal Tiger I chevron links I have seen so far.
Sad they don’t fit the Armortek sprockets and that is a mayor problem as no matter how accurate links will be made the Armortek sprocket rings are made to narrow, it is the same with their Panther I have found.

Remake/make new sprockets and go for new accurate links or keep them and make chevron on the kit links as Bob found out.
A lot of work and money if one want those chevron but they do are important for the accurate Late look.

Today I would go for "the Bob solution" but as that decision for me can wait I will relax and follow what might turn up in this matter.

Your links are the best looking one of those 3, metal or not they still look best :clap:

Kind regards
Kent

Return to “English”