Early Tiger 1 from sPzAbt 503

For you guys who don´t understand Swedish or just prefer English.
cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Thanks Peter!
The center hole and bolt approach would work for this. It would also have the advantage of easy separation... :D

I will keep that in mind, should I decide to redo the flanges at a later stage.

Thanks,
/Chris

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Got some o-ring material today. Some of them go to the Unimat. It will be exciting to see if correctly gauged o-rings will make it more powerful. Probably...

I also got some o-ring strings. They are primarily used to make custom o-rings. I will use them around hatches. Here I make a seal for the engine hatch, so that it closes silently and does not rattle when running:

Thanks for reading,
/Chris

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Finished the air cleaners and test fitted them to the hull:

Close up:

The chains are from a store dealing in ship models (Eskader, Stockholm) and are 1mm dimension. They are really supposed to look like the chains that attached the bottom plug in the bathtubs of my youth (or so I think), but there is no such thing. This will do.

Thanks for reading,
/Chris

Björn Johansson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Björn Johansson »

Great work !

Enjoy reading you´r story
some nice details you add to this
vehicle!
Höres Mvh Björn

Kent W
Medlem
Medlem

Post by Kent W »

Nice progress!

Also nice to for once see a "knight in shining armour" :D

Cheers
Kent

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Hm. :roll:

When fitting the hoses, I realized that cutting them to fit now would make them too short when I move the intake forward to the correct position at a later date as planned.
Then I would have no hoses at all. This dictates that I will have to redo the engine hatch now, much sooner than I had in mind. :( Ah, well, as my wife says "what is done, is done", meaning that the effort is not wasted.

So, work is now in progress with a new hatch. When I do that, it comes natural to check in the books what it is actually supposed to look like. Doing so, I realized that I had a couple of clamps behind the handles that are not supposed to be there on my era Tiger, which I had missed earlier. I also realize that I should do something about the little square locknuts and other details that are missing. The question is what. :lol:

This will be fun! :D

Thanks for reading,
/Chris

Kent W
Medlem
Medlem

Post by Kent W »

Hi Chris,

Back in 2006 Rich Stichcomb made a batch of accurate aftermarket engine hatches.

Maybe his photo can inspire you.

Do you have the link to the "old" Armortek forum and gallery?
A goldmine my friend, a goldmine!
If not I can pm you.

Cheers
Kent

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Yep, they changed along the line! :shock:

As I look at drawings I got from Roland Mann and Tiger 1 info, I realize that my Feifel gear is not exactly to scale. Just copying the hatch holes exactly is not enough. Changing the Feifel gear to match the prototype exactly is also not possible. Instead, a working compromise needs to be found. This will take some tinkering to find what looks best. I will give it a bit of time.

Anyway, now that there is an opportunity, the first step with the new hatch is to move the centerpiece rearward to close the annoying gap.
Before:
And after:
There were lots of little holes to move...
A side view:
Actually, it looks better in real life. There are shadows in the photo because of inadequate lighting in the garage.

Here are a couple closeups on the o-ring-string rubber seals:

Other good news - the radio finally arrived! :D
Here is how quality products are packaged:
Yes, it actually came in the aluminum case! :shock:

Bench testing will commence shortly! :D

Thanks for checking in,
/Chris

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Been tinkering :roll: with the new engine hatch and come up with a reasonable compromise for the Feifel manifold placement. :D The hatch itself does not yet have all the detail. I will do this in steps and save some for later. Again, there are many battles ahead.

Old hatch (in steel):
New hatch (in aluminum):
Note the new placement of the handles and manifold. The clamps below the handles are removed, as they do not seem to belong on this era Tiger.

This will let me move ahead and finalize the Feifel gear installation. But before that comes bench testing of the electronics with subsequent installation in the model. Yes, yes, yes! :D

Lawn mowing has been put aside for so long in favor of building this model, that I will probably need to put the turret on for field testing - or it might get lost. :shock:

Thanks for checking in,
/Chris

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Bench testing conducted today!

Everything worked as planned - no issues at all. All motors were attached to the control units and function as intended. :D

Tomorrow will be the great day of field testing!

Thanks for stopping by,
/Chris

johan1
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johan1 »

Field testing :shock:.... looking forward to some pictures or even better: a short mpeg.
/Johan

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Field testing!

Post by cahlfors »

Finally, F-day as in Field testing day! :D

On the cart across the rubble on the way to the lawn:

Sender and receiver establishing connection:

Connection established:
The 4.91V at the bottom is the receiver supply voltage. Yes, this is bluetooth (note the blue LED to the upper right) and so the receiver can talk back to the transmitter. 8) I have add-ons to measure current and voltage on the main batteries, which I will connect later. Way cool!

Here it is - the first few crawls:
http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae29 ... i_4610.mp4

And:
http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae29 ... i_4611.mp4

Mishaps are mandatory on any maiden voyage. My two were of the "right" kind - easy to correct. Here is the first, a tire came off and jammed itself to the point that the three rearmost wheels got stuck and all the tires came off one wheel. The model is such a charm to drive and very precise to control. The motors also appear to be extremely powerful. The jammed tires would have gone unnoticed totally unless I had spotted that a tire fell off. :shock:

The other was that I hit a dog mine. :evil: I will have a chat with that mine clearing squad. Oh, yes, that was me. Oh, well, I will have a chat with the lawn mowing people who let the grass grow so tall that a mine could hide despite the clearing efforts. Oh, that was me too... I guess I have had other priorities recently over lawn mowing. :lol: What an incredibly bad time to hit a mine!

The tires are now curing for a couple days and I will concentrate on making more permanent installation of the control electronics and wiring next.

Thanks for looking in,
/Chris

shadow
Medlem
Medlem

Post by shadow »

it does look really good.

Peter

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Field test #2

This time with almost full combat weight. Went well, but one idler jammed. I have had issues with mounting them without the bearing binding. The mounting screw presses on the inner race, making the bearing bind. I tried to solve that by putting thread tape on the screw and not driving it fully home. No good. Instead, I have now put three washers on the screws, so that they can be securely tightened without pressing on the bearing. The washers were small enough to fit inside the bearing, thus offloading the bearing itself.

All the rubber tires are fine and no dog mines this time. Even careful turns on the lawn give the grass roots a good airing. What a mess this is going to be! :lol:

It really is a charm to drive!

Cheers,
/Chris

cahlfors
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cahlfors »

Here are some pictures to illustrate the idler issue/solution. Here are the three washers and how they fit inside the inner race of the bearing:

While I am at it - how about some scale bolts? http://www.knupfershop.de/
See the difference?

I also finished the Feifel air precleaner system - lots of filing and clear coat:
Half the brackets had to be made as I only had two:
The fittings are not perfect, but some scale bolts helped:

One disadvantage with the hoses that I have known all along is the fact that the rearmost gratings are blocked. However, the engine hatch is also kind of blocked. This is how much it opens:
I have been thinking hard how to solve this, but no solution so far. I visited ELFA a few days ago and saw their braided hose to collect electrical wires. Wonder if it is available in black and if there is a flexible rubber hose, like silicone, that would fit inside to give it some shape? :?: Hm.

Thanks for peeking in!
/Chris

Return to “English”